Royalty, Vikings, Castles and Hamlet – major sights outside Copenhagen
On this tour, we will visit the most important sights outside Copenhagen, while spending a nice day with our own bus at our own pace.
The tour will be adjusted to fit your interests, but at a normal pace we will be able to cover the highlights of Roskilde (Cathedral and Viking Museum), Frederiksborg Castle and reach Kronborg into the inner court yard (but not go inside the actual building). Plus see things on the way, including a short stop at Fredensborg Slot, the summer residence of the royal family.
Depending on our pace (and your hunger!), we will have lunch at either at a “viking restaurant” (Old, new Nordic cuisine!) or a traditional Danish restaurant serving smørrebrød and other things – both very recommendable.
– Roskilde Domkirke – the most important church in Denmark, going 1000 years back, and the site where the Danish kings and queens are buried Unesco World Heritage Site.
– The Viking Ship Museum and “viking shipyard” in Roskilde – most important Viking museum in Denmark
– Frederiksborg Slot – the magnificent renaissance castle with it’s baroque garden, hosting 500 years of Danish history through its collection of historical paintings, portraits, furniture and more.
– Fredensborg Slot (a quick stop on the way) – the Spring and Fall residence of the royal family.
– Kronborg – also known as Hamlet’s castle – guarding the narrow strait between Denmark and Sweden (we see the castle and surroundings, but do not have time to go inside). Unesco World Heritage Site.
– Driving on the most important stretch of “Strandvejen” – the coastal route back to Copenhagen with the most exclusive (and expensive) houses in Denmark.
This tour can be adjusted – a popular variation is to dive into Kronborg at the expense of Roskilde.
The price of this tour is 1280 USD or a corresponding amount in Euro or Danish kroner.